How to register a eu car in the uk

How to register a EU car in the UK

This infographic is to assist people who are looking to import their vehicle in the UK from an EU country. There are 6 easy to follow steps to help register your car.

How to register a EU car in the UK

text verion

  • You will need to tell the HMRC you are importing the car and complete the NOVA application/ VAT414 form (this is a customs declaration which has to be completed)
  • Contact the vehicle manufacturer to request the Certificate of Conformity (this confirms that the vehicle was manufactured within the EU)
  • Modify the vehicle to conform to the UK road laws and arrange the vehicles MOT. This may involve changes to the front lights and rear lights, and replacing the speedometer to show miles instead of kilometres. You must then obtain a VCA certificate to confirm that the vehicle has been modified in accordance with UK construction and lighting regulations. It basically states that a UK registered vehicle must have a speedometer which can read in miles per hour, front headlights that dip to the left hand side of the road, and a rear fog light that is mounted on the right side of the vehicle. Our understanding is that all vehicles are required to have these changes made, although only vehicle up to 10 years old need to obtain a VCA certificate.
  • EU vehicles under 10 years of age only – Type Approval and VCA certificate – you will need to send the Certificate of Conformity and proof that the works mentioned above have been completed to the VCA
  • While you are registering the vehicle and unless your insurance cover from the the country of origin allows you to drive in the UK, the vehicle must be kept on private property off the UK roads. If it parked on the UK roads it can be impounded and you can be fined over £200
  • If you are importing a vehicle into the UK, there are specialist insurers who can issue cover based on the chassis/VIN number for a limited time to help you to register your car. Road use cover is limited to when the vehicle is being driven specifically for the purpose of obtaining an SVA or MOT certificate (both of which must be pre-booked prior to the vehicle being used).
  • Compete the V55/5, find a recent utility bill (within the last 3 months) – e.g. gas, electricity, water and take a copy of your driving licence.
  • Submit your documents to the DVLA with the tax and registration fee

Comments are closed