Insurance for a European car

Insurance for a European car

For many people now, travelling around Europe has become a way of life. Whether it be because of work commitments or the lifestyle that they have, for many individuals driving in various EU countries can be as commonplace as many people’s commute to work.

What if I have a European car and I am coming to live in the UK?

Moving house can be stressful enough, but if you are moving to another country the last thing you want to do is to consider selling your car and look for a new one. This is just one of the reasons why many people who are coming to live in the UK want to bring their European car with them.

So what cover do I have to drive my car in the UK and how do I get my vehicle re registered and insured in the UK?

If you are visiting the UK and are bringing your vehicle from another EU country you can drive the vehicle under the foreign licence plate for up to 6 months in total during any 12 month period, as long as you do not plan to live in the UK . The 6 months period can be made up of one single trip or various shorter trips totaling no more than 6 months. The vehicle must also be registered, taxed, and insured in its own country.

If you are entering the UK to become a resident, or your stay here exceeds 6 months, you must tax and register your vehicle in the UK within 14 days. To do this you will need to obtain the relevant forms from DVLA. Please refer to for more information.

NB: Please note that you can drive your vehicle to and from a pre arranged appointment (such as an MOT) to get the vehicle registered, but you could be prosecuted if you drive your vehicle on the road for any other reason if you haven’t registered it

There are also other documents you may need to obtain to register the vehicle. These could include:

  • A certificate of conformity (available from the vehicle manufacturer)
  • An MOT certificate issued in the UK
  • A NOVA certificate (obtainable from HM Revenue and Customs)
  • Adaption of the vehicle headlights, rear fog light and speedometer (to make a vehicle UK road compliant the speedometer must be able to read in Miles per hour and the headlights must dip to the left)
  • An IVA certificate (this is normally only required if the vehicle was first registered outside of the EU)
  • An insurance certificate or cover note

We strongly urge our clients to check with DVLA to see what documents you require to register your vehicle and to try and obtain as many of these as possible prior to arranging cover.

If you do plan to register your vehicle in the UK then we have a number of insurers who will provide you with cover based on the chassis number, or VIN number of the vehicle so that you can provide this to DVLA, if required, in order to register the car.

The policy we would offer would be for a full 12 months cover (NB: We are unable to offer short term insurance) with the cover initially being issued on the Chassis/VIN number. We would then require confirmation of the UK registration within 30 days. Once this is received the policy would then be amended for the remainder of the policy.

If you require a quote for insurance for a European car please telephone our sales team on 01375 848000, who will not only be able to provide you with a quote, but will be happy to try and assist you with, the sometimes confusing issue of registering your car.

Other products which may be of interest to you;

Chassis Number Insurance
European Car Insurance

Comments are closed